Saturday, April 14, 2018

BUCKET LIST #3 - Horseshoe Bend - Antelope Canyon

Today is April 14th, 2018 and we are in Escalante, Utah. I could stay here awhile, great small town that reminds me of small ranching towns in Idaho in the 1980's. It is surrounded by over 2 million acres of wilderness! I'm trying to catch up my blogging since we have wifi now for a day or so.

 We arrived in Page, Arizona on March 25th (I am behind!). One of our good friends Clark from Our Newell adventure LINK: http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com.br/ recommended we check out Antelope Canyon. I didn't realize you had to make reservations 6 months ahead as it sits on Navajo nation and they only allow so many people a day!! As luck would have it I got on there website and someone must have cancelled theirs because their was only two spots available for the next 6 months! Wow was it worth it, I highly recommend this tour it was amazing !
LINK: http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/antelope_canyon/

The main reason however that I was in Page was to see Horseshoe bend! It was also on my list of things to see when I retired. A few years ago I seen a time lapse of horseshoe bend from National Geographic, it started out at night with the stars and progressed to sunrise. The Colorado River cuts its way thur here on its way to the Grand Canyon and it is really stunning!
LINK: http://www.arizona-leisure.com/horseshoe-bend-page-arizona.html

We also checked out Glenn Canyon dam that backs up Lake Powell.
 LINK: https://www.usbr.gov/uc/rm/crsp/gc/  
                                                             

                                                                                 

Our Navajo guide just before we enter



Glenn Dam


The BEST BBQ I have ever had!




Inside the dam HUGE

More cement was used here then Hoover Dam!

                                                                             

4 comments:

  1. Killer burgers and best barbecue ever? Must be burning up a lot of calories and getting in shape going through all bucket list items. Work it. Pace your self,don't wanna over do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey my friend! Yes we have started to hike again after laying around in Parker for the winter. Hope all is well with you! Tell the pips I said HI

      Delete
  2. Wow! Two blog posts in one day....double wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clark just trying to catch up from not having wifi.
      Hope you and Elaine have a great journey to Maine!

      Delete